Welcome to the Actuary Club!
With summer coming to an end, I’m excited to say that it’s finally time to kick off our fall events. We have many coming up, and I encourage you all to attend. This Thursday evening from 5:30pm-7:00pm, in Bruininks Hall 117, is our first meeting of the semester! Willis Towers Watson will be presenting, and, more importantly, free food will be served. I hope to see you all there!
Onto the next order of business, there are some important announcements to be made:
- For those of you who are new to the club, the Actuary Club is, unsurprisingly, primarily focused on preparing students for work in the actuarial field.
- We hold weekly meetings for actuaries from local consulting and insurance firms to come in to speak, typically about their experiences with their company and their day-to-day work as actuaries.
- We organize site visits to local companies for students to get a chance to see where they may be working someday. These are usually lengthier events and occur on Fridays from late morning to early afternoon. More information regarding upcoming site visits will be sent out soon.
- Lastly, the Actuary Club sponsors a career fair every fall, where students from schools across Minnesota and neighboring states get the chance to meet company representatives and vie for internships and full-time opportunities.
It is highly recommended that you attend every club-sponsored event that you can. Meeting and developing relationships with employers will be crucial to your success as an actuary.
- Save the date: The UMN Actuarial Career and Internship Fair will be held this year on Monday, October 2ndin the Great Hall in Coffman Memorial Union. Students may register on our website.
- Job postings are now live on GoldPASS. Currently, the companies that have posted internships are Transamerica, Northwestern Mutual, Allianz, CUNA Mutual, New York Life, Allstate, UnitedHealth Group, Federated Insurance, and Travelers Insurance. The companies that have posted full-time opportunities are Transamerica, Allianz, and Allstate.
- Your peers are an incredibly valuable resource, which is why I encourage everyone to sign up for the Actuary Club’s mentorship program!