I hope everyone is having a great first week of the semester! We have a busy couple of weeks filled with events building up to the career fair. Our first event is this Thursday, September 6th, from 5:30 – 7:00 PM in Appleby Hall 11. Milliman will be presenting and food will be served. I hope to see you all there!
Onto the next order of business, there are some important announcements to be made:
- For those of you who are new to the club, the Actuary Club is, unsurprisingly, primarily focused on preparing students for work in the actuarial field.
- We hold weekly meetings where actuaries from local consulting and insurance firms come in to speak, typically about their experiences with their company and their day-to-day work as actuaries. It is also a great opportunity to interact with recruiters prior to the career fair.
- We organize site visits to local companies for students to get a chance to see where they may be working someday. These are usually lengthier events and occur on Fridays from late morning to early afternoon. More information regarding upcoming site visits will be sent out soon.
- Lastly, the Actuary Club sponsors a career fair every fall, where students from schools across Minnesota and neighboring states get the chance to meet company representatives and vie for internships and full-time opportunities.
It is highly recommended that you attend every club-sponsored event that you can. Meeting and developing relationships with employers will be crucial to your success as an actuary.
- Save the date: The UMN Actuarial Career and Internship Fair will be held this year on Tuesday, September 25th in the Great Hall in Coffman Memorial Union. Students may register for free here.
- There are job postings that are now live on Hanshake/GoldPASS. Be aware of the expiration dates listed on the posting. Some expire prior to the career fair, so apply early!
- We will again be offering Exam Reimbursements to students that successfully pass exams during the school year. The requirements and reimbursement form can be found here. As a reminder, you must attend five club events to be eligible for reimbursement. Everyone has been reset to zero for the start of the new school year.
- Your peers are an incredibly valuable resource, which is why I encourage everyone to sign up for the Actuary Club’s mentorship program!
That’s all for now. All upcoming events can be found on our website. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me (email@example.com) if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing each and every one of you at Thursday’s meeting!